Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Mullein or (Verbascum thapsus) for Respiratory Problems


As a child,  I would call this plant sheeps' ears due to the velvety, fuzzy texture of the leaves.  It was many years after I used Mullein as a tea that I finally realized that this was the plant.  Often found in disturbed soils or growing up through the cracks of cement, this weedy rosette is a hardy plant that grows a long "wand" spiked with yellow flowers which can also be used.  The yellow flowers are commonly used to infuse olive oil to make a Mullein oil that is a bactericide useful in the event of swimmer's ear or earaches.  Just use one drop in the ear to alleviate pain.




Feeling a little under the weather and are couch bound?


 Mullein is exceptionally useful for dry, hacking coughs.  In the not-so-far past, I remember working in Midtown and contracting, along with everyone else in the office, a nasty case of bronchitis. It hung in for a long time despite antibiotics and various over the counter cough syrups.  It wasn't until I started drinking Mullein daily that it finally went away.  Ever since,  I have had a supply of dried Mullein on hand to make a strong infusion.  It is my first choice for respiratory complaints of any sort.  (See a National Library of Medicine and Institute of Health study here).  Here are the properties of Verbascum thapsus aka Mullein:

-Expectorant
-Demulcent
-Mild diuretic
-Mild sedative, especially the seeds
-Vulnerary, expedites healing
-Anti inflammatory

It even looks like a lung!
An easy way to dry herbs is by hanging them from a line, in this case, the north side windows of the house.  This single, big leaf was enough to make a small pot for myself.  However, to make an infusion, you will need to pack a jar or tea pot filled with leaves and cover with hot water, seeping overnight for a stronger brew.  Today, I decided on a strong, hot tea for such a cold day.  It turns out that my Meyer lemon tree is growing some lemons, so I added a squeeze to my pot of tea.


I am delighted about seeing such sunshine yellow lemons against a snowy, wintery February backdrop (It's been a long winter).  Although my lemon tree is only about 18 inches tall, it has three lemons growing…Yay!


But I digress..

From Mrs. Maude Grieve's A Modern Herbal, we learn an interesting antidote:
"Both in Europe and Asia the power of driving away evil spirits was ascribed to the Mullein. In India it has the reputation among the natives that the St. John's Wort once had here, being considered a sure safeguard against evil spirits and magic, and from the ancient classics we learn that it was this plant which Ulysses took to protect himself against the wiles of Circe."

So I leave you with this wonderful image from LivingFoodLove website on using your Mullein wand for courage and protection…from those pesky bacteria and viruses that cause so many respiratory problems.  Shoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment